I have a family who is interested in private OT services that would include going into the school to work on printing. The child is 8 and will likely be in a small specialized classroom through Calgary Board of Education next year in the central/west of Calgary and receiving some (minimal) OT classroom support/consultation. If you offer any in-school services, could you please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can add your contact information to a short list for the family.
Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Let's have a meeting.
Calgary OT Pediatric Interest Group
Location: 928 Arbour Lake Rd. N.W.
Please contact Charlene for the room number: Cell Phone: 403 277 8508; Email: Charlene@otyyca
1. Setting your goals and completing your SAT - sharing, information, and discussion.
2. According to the book: Movements that heal if vestibular input is not enough, not enough tone will develop in the extensors. Is this what people are finding clinically? Do we need to get more training on this?
3. Wilbarger protocol. Please get your method checked. Joint compressions are GENTLE!
4. DCD - Pediatric OT's should feel confident in treating and helping to identify this disorder. Discuss.
5. Reflex integration, vestibular ocular reflex, praxis, and vision skills. Are we clear and concise, yet?
Friday, 21 April 2017
I came across this article, and while they're working out a couple kinks I think, the app (Jooay) looks like a great resource for our families (and OTs in the network may have ideas of activities that could be added to the database). Jooay is a free app that lists accessible activities for children with special needs.
canada/calgary/disabled-kids- recreational-activities-more- active-maceachern-1.4069533
My name is Krisztina and I am looking for an occupational therapist to work with my son.
My son is a complex kiddo with epilepsy and learning disabilities, he is 8 years old and is in grade 2.
He recently had a Sensory Profile assessment done and the results came back to indicate that he has heightened sensory issues that play a role in most of his day.
We are looking for an occupational therapist that is able to work within the FSCD rates (max $100/hr) that has experience with supporting our son with his sensory concerns.
He currently has a psychologist on his team and a developmental aide. We are willing to travel or to have the session in our home (Central SE Calgary).
I do have his sensory profile assessment available to share if you feel that you are able to work with our son and us.
Can you please let me know.
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Ability4Good Clinical Team (Calgary, AB)
0.8 FTE – 1.0 FTE
Closing Date: May 1st, 2017
Ability4Good is looking for an Occupational Therapist to join our clinical team. Our program provides home and community services to children (2-17 years of age) and their families. The majority of our clients are children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other developmental disorders. Therapy is held both in the community and at our office. Therapy is provided following a parent teaching model with a play therapy focus. This is a sole charge position, working within a close-knit and supportive multidisciplinary team.
Applicants who are independent and self-motivated, with strong teamwork and communication skills are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have the ability to develop and implement service plans in collaboration with both the families and the members of the multidisciplinary team. Applicants must have the flexibility and innovative thinking required to provide high-quality services to a culturally diverse caseload. Applicants must also have the ability to work flexible hours (weekdays).
· Assess child’s strengths and needs in motor development, sensory processing and modulation, self-care skills as they relate to occupational performance
· Develop Occupational Therapy goals as part of a multidisciplinary service plan
· Implement Occupational Therapy intervention, including teaching parents and supervising Family Coaches
· Complete progress reports and other relevant documentation
· Liaise with community organizations and school therapy teams
· Oversee the development of the Ability4Good’s multi-sensory room and supervise the sensory room program
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in Occupational Therapy from an accredited institution
· Current registration with Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT)
· Alberta driver’s license and access to a vehicle
· Experience with children with autism and/or children with disabilities a necessity
· Excellent compensation that meets or exceeds the HSAA grid, based on training and experience
· An exciting professional development program to enhance the career of the successful candidate
Kerry Campbell, Clinical Director
Wednesday, 12 April 2017
Tuesday, 11 April 2017
AROGA Technologies (www.aroga.com), with offices in BC, AB, ON & QC went into receivership at the end of February 2017.
Unfortunately, AROGA’s website or Facebook page does not indicate any issues or updates on this; the toll-free number just rings and rings; and no bounce back on email enquiries.
I just spoke to one of their past regional reps and was advised to contact the manufacturer of the item you have or want to know more about directly. They will be able to direct you to an alternate distributor in Canada/North America or assist you directly
Info can be found here.
Monday, 3 April 2017
I was wondering if some members of the group could be interested in the School AMPS training to be done in Alberta ( https://
innovativeotsolutions.com/ tools/scamps ) or if anyone trained in the School AMPS would share his/her opinion in the training and use of the assessment.