Thursday 17 November 2016

Discussion about OT salaries in Alberta school systems

Hello colleagues,

I would like to open up a discussion about OT salaries in the school system in Alberta.

Specifically, I was recently reminded that a teacher with the CBE (Calgary), who has fewer years of experience teaching than I do as an OT in the school system, is making $100,000.00/year (and I am making considerably less).  I was under the impressions that our salaries were comparable and I felt this was reasonable.  I work for a non-profit agency funded by Alberta Education.  I would like to understand why there is such discrepancy between professions when we have equal or greater education and have equal or greater responsibilities?  Is this an issue with Alberta Education, the agency I work for, the individual school boards etc.?

I negotiated my salary based on the HSAA grid.  This seems to be the most common way of setting an OT salary.  Would other pediatric OTs be willing to share their experience with salary negotiation with the school boards in the province?

I appreciate any and all discussion on this matter.

Sincerely,


Susan K. Brown, B.Sc., OT (C)
Occupational Therapist
Office:  403-277-0425
Cell:  403-616-0235

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.